Saturday 11 June 2016

Hi, It's Been a While!


Hi!  It’s been a while.  Quite a while, in fact.  Please forgive me for my unintentional absence, I’m not quite sure what happened.  Seems like the year has half gone in just the blink of an eye. 
 
So what have we been doing these past few months?  Quite a lot, actually.  Working with the girls takes a lot of my time.  The older they get, the more time we spend learning, and it is such a blessing to be able to take this journey with them, but it isn't easy.  Home life is busy, but I know that’s the same for so many of us.  Fitting everything in is quite a juggling act, and Blogger is the thing that has fallen by the wayside, but I figured that if I didn’t get back to it soon, I might never, so here I am!!  I can't promise that I will be a more regular blogger, only that I'll try.
 
As you would expect, I’ve been a busy knitting bee and there have been lots of makes, which if you follow me on Instagram you’ll probably already know, but I’ll save the knitted bits for another day.
There have been quite a few knitting patterns added to the ever expanding collection, the Bestway ones are still my favourite leaflets to look out for.  I’m trying to be a little more selective and only buy patterns I’ll actually use, but it isn’t working very well!! 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
As well as patterns, I have a bit of an obsession with Sylko cotton reels at the moment.  I’m not too bothered about looking out for the rare colours, I’m just on a mission to fill the navy and red Sylko box that I was given for Christmas last year.  Two drawers are full, one to go.  And I do actually use the threads in my sewing, so they aren’t just to look at.


 
In our quest for stock, we’ve picked up some amazing pieces, many of which have already found new homes.  Sourcing authentic 1930's and 1940's items is becoming more difficult, which is totally understandable, so we’ve been travelling further afield, and have been rewarded for our efforts.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We’ve been to a couple of events this year, and there are more to come.  One was a vintage fair just down the road from us.  Not many buyers, and we spent most of the day chatting to the other stall holders, including the people behind Dead Men's Spex .  We've know Darren for a number of years, and cannot recommend his work highly enough.  With over 30 years experience in the optical trade, he knows his stuff and is definitely the place to go for all your vintage eyewear needs.
 
                    

We also went to GCR last weekend for their 1940’s event.  Can’t believe it was only a week ago, how can that be?!  As usual, it didn’t disappoint, and I have lots of photos to share, once I’ve taken them off the camera.
 
 
 
Oh, and during my absence from this little space, my oldest turned 10!  To mark Miss C's double digit birthday back in February, we took her to West Yorkshire Wildlife Park to visit their rather incredible polar bears.  She had such a memorable day, and they were so adorable!

 We also bought the most incredible print, by Made in Pixieland, that we had personalised for her.  It now hangs pride of place on her bedroom wall, the last thing she sees before she falls asleep. 
 

 We have another busy time ahead.  The school term ends in 5 weeks, so we have a lot to cram in, before heading back down to Cornwall over the summer.  xx 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Lovely knitting patterns & your stock is beautiful. I don't seem to find the time to blog either, Instagram is so much quicker! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your knitting patterns, although I can't decide which is best - the knitwear or the hair styles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely to have a new post from you. I love your blog and have missed reading it. I know it must be very difficult keeping up with everything you have to do. I homeschooled my two youngest children and know how much time it takes up.
    Anyway, I will look forward to reading as and when you have time. Have a lovely summer in Cornwall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to see you back! I've only just started blogging again after an absence as well., It's so easy to stop & the time just flies by! I adore all the patterns you have, I'd love to be able to store that many and it looks like you've found some more wonderful ones and also vintage items! It's lovely to see you back! XxxX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you're back, and only 7 months-- I'm back after a 3 year hiatus! Time really does fly by. Found you through Instagram, lovely place to post and stay in touch without the commitment that a blog post takes. Love your little slice of vintage knitting heaven!

    ReplyDelete