Sunday 31 August 2014

Summer Roundup

The end of August already?  Hmm, it seems that our extended summer holiday has kept me away from Blogger!  At the beginning of the holiday, with the weeks stretching before me, I had grand plans for numerous posts, plenty of makes and hoped to catch up on lots of cataloguing of my patterns.  In reality, I’ve actually achieved very little of what I’d hoped to, but I have a good excuse; I’ve been out and about with the family having fun!!

So what have we filled our time with?  Well, looking back, we’ve actually done an awful lot. 

We did a vintage fair in Heydon, Norfolk, which was lovely, but I sent Mr Y off to Sheringham with the camera, so no pictures of the fair, but plenty of the trains!  The weather was glorious and there were oh so many beautiful things to buy, but I was good, and all I brought home with me were some more knitting patterns and two 1950's blouses for the girls.



We also touted our wares at the 1940’s event at Ramsey, but again I have no photographs because I didn’t venture far from the tent.  Well, that’s not entirely true, I did venture down to see just one lovely trader who had, yes, you guessed it, more patterns!   She also had some 1940’s black suede ankle boots with Astrakhan trim in a rare larger size, but my mum, being the vintage hunting pro that she is, snaffled them first!! :o)


I may have also acquired some more patterns.  More patterns than I probably should have done. 



I bought, and fell in love with, some incredible pieces of new stock.  Some amazing ox blood red suede CC41 shoes, an incredible lavender coloured crepe dress and coat set and a whole collection of lovelyness including a 1940's Harrod's evening dress, 1930's day dress, 1940's pink moygashel dress with pink piping and a silk vestee from the 1940's :o)






We’ve travelled the highways and byways of East Anglia and visited Colchester Zoo, Minsmere, Sutton Hoo, Dunwich Heath, Land Guard Fort, Holt, Sheringham and Parham, to name but a few.  We’ve been swimming and walking, and paddling and riding.  Wandered through the leafy forests and ambled along the pebbly Suffolk shore.  The girls have dug for treasure and built sandcastles, grubbed in the dirt and come home filthy.  We’ve picked flowers, picked blackberries and picked (and munched!) delicious strawberries.  Eaten picnics in the shade of a tree and eaten over indulgent meals out.  Had cuddly, snugly film nights in and child orientated trips to the flicks!  Phew, no wonder we have welcomed our beds at the end of the day!! 






Racey, C's much beloved, and once white polar bear.  He goes everywhere with her.








We had family staying with us for 2 ½ weeks, which curtailed the adventuring a little, but the increased time at home did mean I was able to finish off 2 jumpers, a blouse and a dress.

  


We did some decorating, well, I picked the colours and my Mr did the decorating!  I also put him to task on a bookcase, so my once dark oak bookcase is now shiny and blue, the perfect home for some of the girls’ book collection.



All in all, it has been a pretty jam packed 3 months.  Having my Mr home has been absolutely incredible. I think we squeezed in as much as we could and I will never forget this gift of time that we have had together.  It’s been a blast, but as a lady who likes routine and order, I am eagerly awaiting things to get back to normal here on Wednesday, when we will start the countdown to the autumn!!
 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had the most wonderful summer, and you have lots of happy memories never to be forgotten
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie. It has certainly been a summer to remember, cherished memories have been made! :o) xxxx

      Delete
  2. Where to start?! It looks like you need a good rest now after all that! I absolutely love those shoes - swoon - and the gorgeous shell pink dress. Lovely photo of your daughter on the beach and it looks like they have the same girlhood book collection as I did (I've not long done a post on the magic of Enid Blyton!) Autumn is certainly just around the corner now although it does sound like we might be getting a few more sunny days yet - sadly just after I return to school (grrrr!) Great post x Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest has been fantastic, thank you :o)
      Oh if only those shoes fitted me. Even if I chopped my toes off, they wouldn't fit! My oldest is a fiend for books and has patiently collected all of the Famous Five Series, and is now looking out for the Secret Seven books. I loved Enid Blyton as a child, and some of the books on the shelf were mine. Hope you have a good start back to the term. x

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've had a wonderful time. Some of the photos are stunning - the sunset and the woods ones look professional.

    What pattern did you use for the blue blouse? It looks lovely.

    - Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam, the sunset and woods ones were taken on my Canon DSLR. The blouse pattern was a 1940's wartime pattern, so high on style, but low on fabric useage :o)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful summer. How many patterns does 1 girl need??!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, sadly I think we have gone way beyond "need" in the pattern stakes :o) x

      Delete
  5. Some serious pattern envy here! What great finds! All your summer makes look lovely. I really like the children's 1950's blouses, how pretty! Sounds like a really super summer.

    ReplyDelete