Tuesday 8 January 2013

Knit Yourself a 1940's Turban - Free Knitting Pattern

Fancy something fashionable from the forties to keep your head warm this winter?  Well, this turban could be just the thing!


While flicking through my patterns to find something to knit for Wendy for the Christmas Swap, I came cross a long forgotten about edition of Home Chat.  It's the only copy of the magazine I have and I don't know anything about the history of the publication but it's an interesting little magazine and worth a read, should you spot any about.   

Anyway, the pattern comes from the July 1940 issue and is really easy to work which makes it perfect for a beginner.  Also, as it's so simple and only across 40 stitches, it's a perfect project to pick up and do a few rows in between other things.  You'll be surprised how quickly it grows.

The work of one evening.
The original pattern called for 4 ply.  I chose Stylecraft 4 ply because it is nice and soft and not at all heavy so won't feel too weighty on your head.


Before you start:
I recommend that you measure your head!  The original works on the basis that the knitted piece will end up being 31" in length but as all of us is different, you will want to make sure you have a big enough piece to be able to either tie into a bow or tuck in the ends.  Remember that the knitting will be slightly stretchy.

You will need:
A pair of number 9 knitting needles (a short pair will be easier to work with)
Approximately 50 grams of Stylecraft (or equivalent) 4 ply wool

Tension:
With the above needles and yarn, your test square should measure 8 stitches to the inch and 12 rows to the inch.  As the pattern is worked over 4 stitches, if your tension is a bit off, it's easy to adjust.

The pattern:
Cast on 40 stitches (personally, I use the thumb method of casting on because it gives a neater finish)
Pearl one row (if you have used the thumb method, remember to pearl into the backs of this first row of stitches or the first row will be loose and baggy).

1st row - slip one stitch (knitwise), P1, K1, P1 - repeat these 4 stitches to the end of the row
2nd row - P1 *K1, P3; repeat from *, ending row with K1, P2

These two rows form the entire pattern and should be repeated until the work measures 31" or your required length.

When you have reached the required length, cast off, run in the two threads and, voila, you're done.  All that's left to do is tie it round your noggin!

Wendy, from The Butterfly Balcony, loved the turban I did and was happy to send me some photographs to share with you.  I hope you'll agree that Wendy looks lovely in hers :o)



If you do give the turban a go, I'd love to see the results.

22 comments:

  1. Oh gosh this is so neat! Thank you for posting this! I just started knitting and this will be a great project for me to do with my instructor! I am having my hubby print it out for me so I can take it to my next class ahhhhh thank you!!! xox Bunny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome. I hope you enjoy knitting it and I'd love to see the results :-) x

      Delete
  2. Awesome :) I have been wanting to make one because my ears get so cold riding my bike!
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very cosy. I hope it does the job :-)

      Delete
  3. Can someone translate to make a pattern to crochet? This is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have a flick through my patterns and see if I can find something similar in crochet :-). Many take some time but I'm sure I have something.

      Delete
  4. For crochet, I would do either a HDC or DC stitch (US). Nothing smaller than that because it wouldn't be easy to tie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh I wish I had more time to make all these lovely things!!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. I have SO many ideas but not enough hours is the day. I think the week needs an eighth day for crafting only. X

      Delete
  6. Oh wow! that is great!
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah that looks fab, lovely colour and thanks for sharing the pattern! I like the idea of knitting these in lots of different colours to match every jumper/cardigan I own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. They are the perfect accessory for your winter woollies :-)

      Delete
  8. It looks fab. I am only a beginner but will defintely give this a go - I am going to a knit and natter group next week so hopefully someone will be able to help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have fun knitting it. It's a really lovely pattern, perfect for a beginner :-) Good luck.

      Delete
  9. Ooh it's gorgeous, thinking this could be a good alternative to my ear muffs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I love the color you chose, it's so nice and soft :)

    ConstantlyAlice

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this looks gorgeous!! I love the colour!! I'm actually in the middle of making a turban and the pattern is doing my head in, it's all wrong!! This one sounds so much better and looks fab on, thank you!! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is so easy. It's the perfect project to pick up and do a little bit at a time. Hope you have fun with it :-)

      Delete
  12. this is a great pattern so much more flattering and pretty than ear muffs. i go running so may make one up for when the weather is a bit warmer to keep my ears warm. I have a jumper to finish first though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG!!!!! I love this soooo much!!! the color and the pattern is so sweet!!

    http://backroom-conversation.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lucy,
    Thank you so much for this pattern! I made it and absolutely love the result, I'll probably make it again in more colors.

    Here's the link if you'd like to take a look:
    http://mutsprojectsandaccomplishments.wordpress.com/2014/02/04/40s-turban-from-home-chat-magazine/

    *Ines*

    ReplyDelete