Friday 14 October 2011

Vintage Felt Corsages

Back in April, I designed an anemone corsage having taken inspiration from some amazing shades of felt that I bought at my local craft shop. 

This is my little anemone displayed on one of our hand knitted jumpers (please excuse the bookcase in the background!!)



My anemone :-)


I'm very proud of it and, now the weather here is a lot colder, it has graced my purple winter coat and it looks brilliant!  I sold over 40 of these little posies over the summer so I'll be busy preparing more when the evenings draw in.


I collect original 1940's sewing and knitting patterns as well as magazines from the time.  At an auction in June, I was very lucky and picked up a large lot of 1930's and 1940's ladies magazines.  In one from 1941, there was a pattern for this "English marigold" corsage.   



I made a couple of tweaks from the original because I needed it to be a little more durable than the pattern suggested.  It's great because all of the stems are wired so the flowers can be arranged into a proper little posy that really stands out on a lapel.


Last but not least is this unusual corsage, also from an original pattern.  I used the colours as suggested in the pattern and although it may not show from the picture, it was a fiddly little thing to do as the tiny flowers are only 4mm across - I didn't enjoy making it but once I start something I can't bare to be beaten by a pattern so I had to see it through to conclusion!!  You can be certain of one thing, this little beastie is a one off - I won't be making another one!



I hope you like them :-)  I have a few more designs in the pipeline - I'll let you know how I get on!!


3 comments:

  1. Hello – these are gorgeous – I to have some vintage craft and sewing books and magazine that have instructions for making felt decorations, although I am craft obsessed I have not had time to try them out, although now seeing your beautiful pieces makes me want to have a go. Thank you for posting debs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~ * ♥ * ~

    Gorgeous - I love these darling little felt corsages, but I have never seen any patterns for them. I shall have to keep my eye out for them!

    xox,
    bonita of Depict This!
    ~ * ♥ * ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. though i only just found this great post of yours now you might still enjoy seeing some of the ones i have tried to make here http://vintagelifestyle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/1940s-inspired-handmade-felt-brooches.html and here http://vintagelifestyle.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/inspired-by.html . I love felt brooches and other accessories. Yours are super!

    ReplyDelete